Coronavirus & Mongolia
Outside of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia has only 2 people per square kilometer (2020 Census). So if you’re looking to ‘get away from it all’ then maybe consider our Mongolia! Our ‘Everyone Travels Safely’ strategy makes sure that we keep everyone safe – our guests, our team, and the community we work with and support.
Mongolia is open (airport border only at present) to fully vaccinated travellers without the need for quarantine or self-isolation. Land borders remain closed.
Travel To Mongolia
- Although the airport border is open, the land borders between China and Russia remain closed to foreigners, and the Trans-Mongolian/Siberian train routes via Beijing, Irkutsk and Moscow are not currently operating.
- Within Mongolia, only chartered not scheduled domestic flights are currently operating which limits access to western Mongolia.
- The Mongolian government is currently controlling the international flights’ schedule until (at least) March 2022. At the moment, the only route available to book online is via Istanbul with Turkish Airlines – https://www.turkishairlines.com/ These following routes are open but have to be booked via the airline directly:
- Via Tokyo (AeroMongolia & MIAT)
- Via Seoul (MIAT, Asiana Airlines, & Korean Air)
- Via Almaty (Hunnu Air)
- Via Frankfurt (MIAT)
- Travellers arriving from abroad 14 days after receiving the full dose of the coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine or who have recovered from COVID-19 within the last 4 months (must provide proof) are exempted from the 14-day self-isolation.
- All incoming travellers are required to provide evidence of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken no more than 72 hours before arrival. (For those travelling with kids, – those with children younger than the minimum age required for a COVID-19 test in the departure country are excluded).
- All incoming travellers are required to take another PCR test on arrival at Chinggis Khan International Airport (unless aged 5 or under).
Travellers who are not fully vaccinated or arriving within 14 days after receiving the full dose of the coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine or are unable to provide proof of their recovery from COVID-19 within the last 4 months are subject to a 14-day self-isolation.
See the official update – https://consul.mn/eng/index.php?moduls=19&id=110
- This tracker shows Mongolia’s own Covid journey and vaccination progress. Currently, 68% of the population are vaccinated and the booster programme is underway – https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/mongolia/?fbclid=IwAR3vBJD2RIKLa9vbr0vbOT7Z-oHrenc7bxJIrEMo1diJGYUOWDnflyNrSEU
- Mongolia is sourcing its vaccines (Pfizer, AstraZeneca, Sputnik V, Sanofi) from India, Russia, China as well as assistance from the Covax initiative.
Book With Confidence
Any questions, queries or concerns do not hesitate to get in touch with Jess on WhatsApp + 44 7810 280403. Alternatively, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the following (excellent) data map tracking the current outbreak of COVID-19 by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at John Hopkins University. They are tracking the COVID-19 spread in real-time on their interactive dashboard with data available for download – https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
- For those requiring a visa to Mongolia, check with your closest Mongolian Embassy for the final date you can realistically apply for your Mongolian visa. Most embassies now offer a one or two-day express service with five-days typically being the maximum length of time needed for an application.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information for Travel from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
U.S. Department Of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs – travel advice to Mongolia –https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/mongolia-travel-advisory.html?fbclid=IwAR1X0tofzwMTOcwU6h8R8htAvBP_eehAVFp0KofAgcDY5YjILF2WI8OE5Ug
US Embassy in Mongolia page for travel advice to Mongolia – https://mn.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/?fbclid=IwAR3VzNaF5KWpBudgEeQ5FBJQwpJYldgdOd_SDXgMqFKJYwZir-jgT7M4_UU